The first-ever AMA on Reddit was held on August 31, with the Clash Royale Dev Team answering questions posted by the community themselves. Let’s take a look at the top 5 hot questions that were answered during this illustrious moment.
#1: Could you talk a little about the matchmaking? Is it based on level, trophies, location, deck, etc? – sellenrick
In a nutshell, it indeed is only based on trophies. There are, however, a few special rules in place:
- Players on a losing streak are in a “losing streak” pool. While there you get matched against others in the pool until you win – then you’re back in normal again. Matchmaking is still based on trophies all the time.
- We try to match together players that we consider abusive trophy droppers so that they don’t mess the others’ game.
- We have a few rules for the very top of the ladder, where there are fewer players. This is to improve the quality of the matchmaking there and to mitigate abuse like win-trading.
Those are the only special rules we have in ladder matchmaking. We are always reluctant to talk about exact rules and we’re not revealing the exact parameters for the above rules either. The reason is that it just makes it easier to exploit and play around for those who want to exploit and abuse it, which tends to make the experience worse for the rest.
#2. Many players have been retiring from the competitive community recently. One big reason is a frustration over the prevalence of luck (matchups/starting hand) in determining the outcome of a game. What can be done to ensure the meta remains skilful, and healthy for competitive players? Would Supercell be open to consulting with elite pro players on potential balance changes?
A second key issue driving these retirements is the lack of competitive opportunities. Will CCGS ever be expanded to engage the rest of players for longer than a week each season? – MasteryMatt
In terms of balance, we are already consulting with top players but will continue trying to improve on this.
In terms of opportunities, I think involving millions of players in the qualifiers was a major step in terms of involvement but I agree it would be great to have other initiatives happening in between seasons! We are seeing an increase in external event interest since we launched CCGS so hopefully, this will help as well.
We’ve just gotten started with esports, but also have to realise our limitations in terms of size (we have two people working on CCGS full time), which means we, just like within our game development, have to constantly focus on the areas where we will have the largest impact.
This also to some degree answers your last question but if you haven’t checked it out, Jonathan’s talk at GDC adds a bit more nuance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZtlyZOGqAg
#3. Would new game modes be implemented?
As for the community, the clan chest was a great way to be active as a clan, maybe a buddy war to pit clans against each other or against a common enemy like a sort of “raid” would be nice?
Any chance we get more clan oriented stuff coming soon? – RhinoCatBus
We generally add game modes with every release, we think it’s a cool way to add variety to the game and mix things up every now and again. We have some really cool modes coming in the next update, some of the best we’ve ever done, according to us, but maybe we’re a bit biased.
War to pit clans against each other? I think that’s a cool thing, specifically ways to bring your clan together and work together to beat a common enemy. It will happen one day, it’s on the list of BIG ideas, but it’s a long list and we’ve got a few big ideas we need to implement first (secret thing A, secret thing B, secret thing C).
#4. How do you decide what to buff/nerf? Purely from stats or does player opinion on places like this subreddit affect things? – hoochdog1
There are lots of things that affect the decisions. There’s no simple answer to this but we look at data and we also listen to players – especially top level players and those community influencers who do awesome deep analysis on the cards, the meta and the game.
In a nutshell it’s a combination of:
- looking at data (e.g. use rates/win rates/trends for cards and decks in challenges, top tournament players, different arenas etc.)
- listening to players (e.g. reading community posts, chatting with top players and influencers)
- “design intuition” (what change makes sense? what change steers the meta or the card in a desirable direction? what’s the problem/opportunity with a card that needs nerfing/buffing?)
There’s no strict process to this and we always learn and adapt to improve the game and the way we do it.
#5. Why can’t you give higher rewards to the top three contributors of Clan Chest every week? Whats the point of getting the same reward for the guy who got 200 crowns vs the one who got nothing? – Teh_Diver
We have definitely considered giving a shout out to the top contributors and top donators in the clan. A bit of reward could also be a potential idea, but ideally, clans work together; sharing is caring.
#6. Would you guys ever consider Clash Royale with more than 8 cards in a single deck? (Say, 10 or 12) new mode maybe? – ozziekhoo
Interesting idea! We have talked about this in the team. However we’d be very careful to have bigger decks, 8 is a good balance count to provide enough variety without being too overwhelming. Keep it simple and elegant.
There were actually more questions that were answered during the AMA. Here’s a recap of the new nuggets of information gleamed out from the session:
- The next update will have a new game mode (2v2 confirmed), Quests, and “something casual”.
- 2v2 will be a permanent feature.
- The devs will be removing the full refund (when cancelling tournaments) in the next update.
- Draft Challenge is coming back in the near future.
- Bomb damage stat will be back in next update.
- There are no plans for a ladder 2v2 mode.
- There are no plans for a non-ladder 1v1 mode.
- There are no Sparky buffs. Yet.
- There are no plans for higher level cap.
- There is no PM system between players.
- No likely improvement will be made to the Cancel button in the near future.
- The following will be implemented in the future: new intro screen, new clan badges, new spirits, new arena, and a‘Heroes’ idea.
Kudos to the Clash Royale Dev Team for taking the time to answer the community’s burning questions!