Kel’Thuzad was the founder of the Cult of the Damned (amongst other unofficial titles he is given by Blizzard employees) and one of the principal agents of the Lich King in the Warcraft franchise.
Kel’Thuzad, while still a human mage under the care of the Kirin Tor under the pretence of being under the orders of Mal’Ganis he was slain by Arthas. Arthas then resurrected him as a Lich after becoming a death knight so he could summon Archimonde, the Defiler into Azeroth. The Lich King departed for Northrend, leaving Kel’Thuzad in charge of the Scourge of Lordaeron from his necropolis, Naxxramas.
Following his first defeat, Kel’Thuzad now reappears in the Nexus after years of planning and preparing from the shadows gathering his followers in secret. This time all shall obey the call!
- Area Of Effect & Burst Damage: Kel’Thuzad’s is packed with burst spell damage, but almost all of it requires the player to land skill shots.
- Strong Crowd Control: His kit is packed with roots and lockdown effects, so following up one spell after another is easier if the first spell hits. A great combo is Frost Nova to slow and/or root enemies, into Chains of Kel’Thuzad, and finally followed up by Death and Decay for a finisher.
- Siege Potential: Kel’Thuzad’s passive ability is a quest, and completing the quest dramatically boosts his damage and cooldown reduction making him able to spam his abilities towards late game. With the correct talents, he will take down enemy forts like a bulldozer.
- Weak Mobility: With most mage assassin heroes, it’s either kill or be killed. Stick with a healer or other teammates if you are afraid of being caught in the open.
- Reliance On Hitting With Spells: Kel’Thuzad is a wombo-combo playmaker, so practice on hitting moving targets with his spells, especially the Chains of Kel’Thuzad. Picking team comps with high CC can further increase the likelihood of you hitting those much-needed combo abilities.
Kel’Thuzad will benefit from teammates who have strong CC effects and heroes that have the opportunity to pick the Executioner talent (Bonus damage against heroes under CC effects). Wombo combos are also possible with KT’s kit.
Some examples include:-
- Jaina– Got AOE damage and CC spells? How about more AOE damage and CC on top of that.
- ETC– Potential combos with Moshpit and Powerslide stuns.
- Greymane– Great follow-up damage and Greymane has access to executioner talent.
- Muradin– Muradin also has access to executioner talent and has decent CC abilities.
High mobility heroes who can kite and avoid his spells will be a very hard counter against Kel’thuzad. Also, some heroes have access to magic shield talents and reduction/immunity to CC effects.
Some examples include:-
- Tracer– Dashing and kiting you 24/7. It’s almost impossible to land spells on her.
- Anub’arak– Has access to spell damage reduction late game and can shut you down with Cocoon.
- Johanna– Her trait grants her Unstoppable and gives her a shield. You won’t be able to solo kill her- ever.
- Genji– His super-high mobility and ability to reflect your ultimate abilities can make him a deadly counter.
Battlegrounds that have bottle neck or tight spaces will make landing skills easier against enemy heroes. Maps with a lot of sieges involved will see Kel’Thuzad doing better as well as he has good siege damage potential. Whereas maps with more open spaces will be easier for skills to be kited by enemies.
Stronger maps include Haunted Mines, Infernal Shrines, and Garden of Terror. Weaker maps include Towers of Doom and BlackHeart’s Bay.
The Current Meta
Everyone loves a playmaker hero and Kel’Thuzad fits right into this niche, he has the potential to 100 to 0 enemy heroes with a full skill combo to swing a fight, but this requires a relatively high skill cap without some protection & crowd control from teammates.
There are two talents that are particularly important in setting up these game-changing attacks:
- The level 4 talent, Phylactery of Kel’Thuzad gives his spells self-healing ability once he collects enough health globes. He can also activate the ability to immediately return to the battlefield after being killed. However, this resets the quest to collect health globes.
- The level 7 talent, Glacial Spike is a super playmaker talent. It is possible to use it to body-block enemies with it, or it can be used to combo with Chains of Kel’Thuzad if you want to initiate a fight for your team. Or you can just grab that solo kill if there are no other targets for the Chains around.
They say practice makes perfect and this is true with Kel’Thuzad, be patient and burst down enemies with your wombo-combos.