The seneschal of Demacia is going to get a reworking just like Urgot.
Riot designer Xenogenic shared a few tidbits about the new changes for Xin Zhao. Players will get to experience them in the League of Legends PBE servers when he’s made available this week. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect.
Riot Wants To Make Him “Flexible” & “Meaningful” In Teamfights
The old Xin Zhao may be a favourite, but Riot felt that his master spear fighter/duelist character isn’t conveyed well in his mechanics. With this reworking, he will have a new spear attack ability and a modified Ultimate that will make his “duelist” nature stand out (see next heading).
The new XZ will be able to contribute to early and late games, as well as new tools so that he can help out from behind. He also will have more options when engaging in teamfights; previously he just dives in the backline and opponents can use certain CCs for countermeasures.
He Has A Lot Of “New” Skills
These skills make him more of a spearman who duels with his opponents, even in teamfights. He has a new W skill called Wind Becomes Lightning that is a 2-part attack that consists of a slash (damage in a cone) followed by a thrust (high damage at long range, slows down targets).
His Ultimate (now called Crescent Guard) sounds great and “duel-like”: it knocks back surrounding enemies save for the target he dashed to, and creates a defense zone around himself that prevents damage from outside interference.
Oh, and for XZ fans who main him, your precious Q and E skills are untouched. Well, maybe not for E. Take a look below:
New Passive – Determination
- The passive portion of Battlecry (every third hit deals bonus damage and heals Xin) was transferred to the overall passive for his kit.
New W – “Wind Becomes Lightning”
- This is a 2 part flowing attack with his spear that includes a sweeping slash in front of Xin, followed by a long-range thrust.
- Slash – deals damage in a cone in front of Xin.
- Thrust – deals higher damage at long range and slows targets hit for 1.5 seconds.
- The attack speed steroid that Battlecry provided is now rewarded after dashing to targets with E (Audacious Charge)
R modified- now called “Crescent Guard”
- Xin Zhao’s Ultimate is still an instant cast sweeping circle that knocks enemies back and deals damage. The knockback still excludes the last target he dashed to or attacked.
- NEW: For 3 seconds after casting Crescent Guard, Xin Zhao creates a zone around himself and will block damage dealt to him from champions outside of his guard area. The duration of this stance is extended slightly every time Xin Zhao attacks an enemy champion.
In addition to that, XZ will also receive new animations, sound effects, visual effects, and icons. That’s par on course for reworked champions. Talk about these new changes on our Discord channel. Do you love them, or do they sound atrocious?