Vainglory’s overhauling the entire meta in the coming 2.8 update, and we’re excited! Here’s our rundown of major changes:
1. Potions Removed
- Everyone’s favourite staple, Halcyon Potions, will no longer be purchasable in the shop. This means team fights may no longer begin with most players at full health.
- With a buff to their gold bounty and nerfs on their stats, Treants look set to be pivotal in team fights with their healing benefits as well.
- Heroes who can heal and sustain their allies, like Lyra, may be more viable in this new meta – that is, if the nerfhammer doesn’t slap them too hard.
2. New Items: Spellsword & Healing Flask
- The Healing Flask replaces Halcyon Potion at the start of the match. On paper, the block seems negligible, but the damage block together with its heal could help turn the tide of a team fight. It’s also unclear if the item is single-use only.
- Spellsword combines cooldown reduction and weapon power, two stats that are rarely seen together. It seems promising for WP junglers like Blackfeather, who have largely been forgotten in the CP meta.
3. Lane Minion Ambient Gold Reduced; Jungle Ambient Gold Increased
- This reversal brings back the duo jungling, single laner meta, at least in theory. And in line with this, we have…
4. Contracts Buffed
- Ironguard, Protector and Dragonblood Contract will see buffs. Ironguard Contract, in particular, is a staple for some roamers like Phinn.
- This further encourages jungling. Hello roaming meta.
5. Healing Nerfed
- Fountain of Renewal now has a longer cooldown, and healing abilities across the board have a longer cooldown as well. The Book of Eulogies (which restores health per enemy kill) will also be nerfed.
- It looks like we’ll be going for those Treants more often… and maybe killing the enemy Treants to cripple them too.
It looks like the meta will definitely be shaken once Vainglory launches its 2.8 update, for better or for worse. You can watch Playoffbeard explain the reasoning behind this overhaul.
Top image credit: SEMC
Love our articles? Want to talk about it? Come on over our community page today!